Sunday, January 10, 2016

Menu: 1/10-1-16

      I am the absolute worst at planning a weekly menu and one of my new years resolutions is to do just that; to be consistent with the planning and preparations of healthy-ish meals and snacks for my family. How many of you are like me and wait until the last minute to pull meat out of the freezer for dinner or get so caught up in daily todo's  you forget all together. Do you ever find yourself shoving things around the cabinets trying to figure out yet another fast fix before your husband notices there's nothing simmering on the stove when he walks through the door? I do. So here is a my menu for the week. Most recipes I get off Pintrest just because I am always up for trying new things and experimenting with new foods.

Monday, January 11, 2016
Meat Loaf, Roasted Garlic Quinoa, Sautéed Sweet Potato Hash
 
Best Dang Meatloaf Recipe:
 
2 lbs ground beef *I use deer*                  1 lb of sausage
1/2 sleve of finely crushed crackers         2 eggs                     
a few dashes of Worcestershire                1 tsp. mustard
1/2 cup brown sugar                                 1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup diced onion                                   
 
Mix all ingredients together in large bowl. Pour into baking dish of choice. Bake at 350 for and hour. In meantime prepare topping.

 Topping:
1 cup ketchup              1/4 cup brown sugar
 
When meatloaf is fully cooked drain off grease then spread on toppings. Bake for 10 minutes more. Serve.
 
This has to be our favorite meat loaf recipe and we have tried a few and they never seem to have that wow factor. Then again it's meatloaf.
 
Roasted Garlic Quinoa: 
 
      The roasted garlic quinoa is a meal package I picked up from Aldi's. I never really tried quinoa except for that one time I was shoved a free sample at Costco. Fingers crossed it goes over well with the whole family.
 
Sautéed Sweet Potato Hash:
 
      Sautéed Sweet Potato Hash is super easy and delicious. Just start by pealing the prefer amount of sweet potatoes. Cubed them then toss them into a frying pan. Dice preferred amount of yellow onion and place in frying pan as well. Coat with EVOO. Season with cinnamon, chili powder, and garlic salt. Sometimes I like to switch it up and just season them with curry powder and salt. There are so many options when it comes to seasoning sweet potatoes, so experiment to your satisfaction. Fry your hash until potatoes become tender and onions translucent. I like to throw in a few pinches of real bacon bits to add that bacon smoky flavor. I love making this in the mornings for breakfast where I add and fry an egg over easy to finish it off.
 
Tuesday, January 12, 2016
Chicken and Rice Casserole, Hawaiian Sweet Rolls- New Pintrest recipe.
 
Photo Credit: The Boomer Brief Blog
      I'm always trying new recipes because I love building and adding to our family cookbook. A cookbook in which I will send off with each of my children when they leave the nest. This recipe I have never made and fingers crossed it goes over well with my family. Click the link below for the full step by step recipe.
 
 Wednesday, January 13, 2016
Cheese Ravioli in Meat Sauce, Garlic Parmesan Monkey Bread
 
Photo Credit: Damn Delicious Blog
      This is a super fast, super easy meal that doesn't take much thought and it's something I know the kids will be excited to see on the table. If it were up to them, they'd eat the canned ravioli. ECK! Chef Boyardee, brother I know you mean well and just trying to make a buck, but you need to get a new recipe.
      You know there is an art to getting you main dish and all the sides finished at the same time; leaving nothing to go cold or accumulate flies. So begin with your garlic knots first and get those prepped and out of the way. Toss them in the oven after you through your pasta in to boil. Follow link below for full recipe.
 
Cheese Ravioli in Meat Sauce
 
1 pkg frozen ravioli (If you prefer fresh then good for you. Use whatever your heart desires.)
1 jar of pasta sauce
1/2 lb of ground beef *I use ground deer*
                                                                  seasonings of choice
 
      Make ravioli according to packager directions. While ravioli cooks, fry your meat. Drain and rinse meat then mix with pasta sauce. Drain pasta and stir into meat sauce and season. Done! Bam! Just like that.  
 

Thursday, January 14, 2016
Buffalo Wild Wings/ McDonalds $1.99 Happy Meals
 
So when it  comes to agreeing what's to for dinner, Thursday's we are all sure to agree on the following. Bdubs for Jeff, Kimball and I; where they have their $.65 wings and McDonald $1.99 Happy Meals for the younger kiddos. Now we don't do this every week; maybe once a month.
     How do you like your wings? I'm partial to the less spicy flavors where as my husband goes for the hellfire flavors. As for me I like to keep the lining of my stomach intact. My order normally consists of 4 Honey BBQ and 4 Chipotle BBQ. All boneless and extra wet. My son goes for the Honey BBQ as well as whatever the new flavor is for that month. Jeff likes his Asian Zing, Caribbean Jerk, Dessert Heat. We love to serve them up with a big bottle of ranch dressing.
      Here in our area, McDonald's has a Happy Meal special every Tues-Thur from 4-8pm; where you can get all the Happy Meals you want for $1.99. Sweet deal when your feeding a lot of kids.
 
 

Friday, January 15, 2016
Bubble Up Enchilada Casserole, Spanish Rice
                                                     Dessert: Oreo Heaven Dessert *First time making this, but my sister made it for Christmas and it was fabulous.*

      This is another quick recipe if your an on the go family. Friday night games and you need to feed your athlete in a rush. This is the meal for you.
 
Bubble Up Enchilada Casserole

1 package Pillsbury Grands! biscuit dough               10 ounces enchilada sauce
1 pound ground beef                                                  1 packet taco seasoning
4 ounce can diced green chilies                                  2 cup grated cheddar cheese *I also use Colby Jack*
 avocado, sour cream, taco sauce for garnish

 
      Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Open the biscuits and slice each biscuit into 8 small pieces. Add to a medium bowl and pour the enchilada sauce over the top. Stir to coat. Brown the ground beef in a large skillet. Drain the grease and stir in the taco seasoning and 2 tablespoons of water. Stir in the green chilies. Pour the biscuits and enchilada sauce into a 9x13 baking dish. Top with the ground beef. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top. Top with bits of cilantro if desired. Bake for 30 minutes or until the biscuits are cooked through and the cheese is fully melted. Serve with your choice of side. We prefer Spanish rice.
 
Oreo Heaven Dessert
 
As I mentioned before, I have not actually made this, but I am so excited to whip this up; I almost can't contain myself. Imma lose it, people!! Here's the link to where you can find this "heavenly" dessert that will sure to please you taste buds and leave you wanting more...That sounded kind of seductive...Awkward..
 

Photo Credit:landeelu.com
 




Saturday, January 16, 2016
Leftovers/Free for all
 



 






No comments:

Post a Comment